Tuesday, February 20, 2024

How Does an Introvert Deal with Depression?

My blog on HealthyPlace: Introverts Guide to Coping with Depression

Being introverted means I am the type of person who re-energizes through solitude. Some may think this is weird or a bad thing. It's not. It is just how my brain works - I would much rather hang out with my kids, pup, or a couple close friends than be with a group of people or at a large gathering. Now as I have gotten older, I have become more adaptable to being in large groups and having to hold conversations with others (although I still suck at small talk). However, when I'm done socializing, I'm exhausted! I then need some quiet time or a nap to be functional again. 

For instance, I train peers 7 hours a day for 3 days a week - I love what I do! But, once it is over for the day, even the thought of going to the grocery store makes me cringe. I just want to veg for a couple of hours before having to talk to anyone else. Even texting with friends becomes taxing - my mental energy is depleted. 

So what about when I am depressed?? As an introvert, it may look like I'm just taking time to re-energize, but there's more to it. I'm one of those people who can mask my depression like a pro! However, in the past year, as much as it is out of my comfort zone, I have come up with three ways to 'reach out' when I am feeling unwell to help me cope with my depression:

  1. Go outside.
  2. Text a loved one.
  3. Schedule a monthly friend night.
If you click the link above, it will take you to my HealthyPlace blog, which explains everything! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts... I look forward to reading your comments.

Popular Posts: