Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Coping with Depression

Check out my blog posts about coping with depression on healthyplace.com

Today, there is still a stigma about depression: "Why can't people just snap out of it?" If it were only that easy! Being diagnosed with a depressive disorder is more than just feeling sad sometimes. First, Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) is a condition that causes a persistently low or depressed mood – not situational sadness or feeling low. Sometimes, it can be triggered, and sometimes, it can be out of the blue. Regardless of how it comes about, MDD affects sleep, appetite, energy, ability to focus, and interest in usually enjoyable things (Cleveland Clinic, 2022). Coping with MDD is multi-faceted. There is not just one solution or magic pill that improves or cures mental health – it is a mixture of things that help people (and me) cope.

Coping skills are an essential aspect of a multi-faceted approach of recovery. Someone's coping skills could be anything from phoning a friend to exercise to (one of my personal favorites) puzzles. In other words, these are the things that can distract us who live with depression enough so we can distract, regroup, and think logically (instead of emotionally) about what it is that has put us into a depressive state. 

For example, in my journal, I have a list of activities I consider my "wellness toolbox." It includes puzzles, stickers, snuggles with my pup, watching a scary movie or stand-up, etc. I have it written down because, as I am sure we all know, when we begin to feel depressed, much of our memory and logical thinking go out the window. But I know exactly what page in my journal has my graphic organizer (because I had to make it pretty with stickers) of things that make me happy. 

We all know it is challenging to be motivated when not feeling well, even for something we enjoy doing. Writing down my coping skills or having them as part of my routine is essential. Hence, as I mentioned, I have mine written in my journal – I can turn to that page when I start to feel not right and remind myself to get a new puzzle or turn on Netflix, but, most importantly, I must write about it. There is something so cathartic about writing out how I am feeling I have a few pages that, if you were to look at them, you would be able to instantly tell I was upset because my handwriting is all over the place and very sloppy. But... I still wrote it down, and it felt so good to do so!

For me, puzzles and games on my phone distract me and get my mind back onto the logical road. I have to be cognizant of where pieces go and score points on a game so that once I stop, I can reflect on what upset me and untwist my thinking. Now, I'll admit that there are times when my depression has taken hold, and it can be challenging to get started and engrossed in what I am doing. However, I know myself well enough that if I keep pushing through, this coping skill will help. So much of your coping skills is being self-aware. You must learn to know yourself and not be afraid to reflect for these skills to be worthwhile and helpful.

Using coping skills successfully also involves being mindful. Mindfulness is being 'in the moment' and taking a step back to recognize what you are feeling and what external stimulus has possibly contributed to your depression (Therapist Aid, 2020). When I realize that depression or sadness is starting to set in, I have to take a second and think, "Why am I feeling this way? What has happened today that I didn't like? Who said something I didn't like?" This way, not only am I being mindful of what it is that has triggered my mood shift, but I am self-aware to know that I need to jump-start my coping skills so I do not continue down the road to full depression. 

It has taken over a decade for me to come to these conclusions and ways of coping. So, it doesn't happen overnight. There were a lot of trials and tribulations, ups and downs, good days and bad days before I was able to honestly deal with my MDD healthily. It's not to say I still don't have those bad days or bouts of depression because I do! Life happens, triggers happen, people don't react the way I want them to, things don't go my way etc., etc. Despite all that, as long as I stay mindful and stay true to my coping skills, I know I'll be ok in the long run - one day at a time.

 

References

Clevel d Clinic. (2022). Clinical Depression (Major Depressive Disorder). Cleveland Clinic. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/heal h/disea es/24481-clinical-depression-major- depressive-disorder.

Therapist Aid, LLC. (2020). Coping Skills: Depression. Therapist Aid, LLC. https://www.therapistaid.com/worksheets/coping-skills-depression.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts... I look forward to reading your comments.

Popular Posts: